Two Local Studies
My Place 09:
Finding new Research Themes|
There are many avenues for research arising from the resources available in the library Local Studies rooms.
In this pilot project, all of the school groups explored the local newspaper pages and the Folklore Commission schools survey stories. After this:
Each school took one or more themes. These included:
- One school focused on old maps
- One school made prime use of the old photos
- One school used the place names as their special focus
- As it was close to Christmas, one school put emphasis on transcribed conversations from the local nursing home previously collected by the facilitator. (Candles in the Window)
- The history and importance of the local river (The Inny)
- Celebrations in the past (In this case, Christmas)
- Local shops and industries in the town, present and past
- Townland names, features, and stories.
Click on the links below
and "hands on" activities